The steps I took to complete this project were at times tedious and sometimes repetitious but I continued on and loved every minute of my journey. I started out with a stack of white construction paper, glue, a pair of scissors, and boxes full of unmounted plant specimens. My first objective was to glue all the specimens to paper (mounting). Second I made sure all plant specimens were identified and keyed out correctly. Third I began the lengthy process of creating special labels for each individual plant which I would then glue to the appropriate plant mount. After all specimens were mounted and labeled I set them aside until I finished my other project of organizing the SRM herbarium. Once I had completed the task of organizing the herbarium I filed away the plant mounts into their appropriate sections. As I filed the specimens I made sure to make an inventory list. By creating this list it will be easier for future students to check-out these plants to use them as a study tool for the national native and invasive plant test put on by the Society for Range Management.
During the process of completing my EDGE project I was able to apply my knowledge of common names, scientific names and classifications of the plant specimens that I worked with. There were also some plants that I did not know but I used this as an opportunity to expand my knowledge in this area. By the time I ended my EDGE project, I had invested 200 hours into organizing the SUU SRM herbarium, labeling and mounting important plant specimens, and creating an inventory of our plant mounts on hand.
My outcome for this project was seeing myself through, carrying out my vision, and fulfilling my obligation to complete my EDGE project to the best of my ability and taking pride in myself by doing so. By choosing and completing this EDGE project I have an awesome opportunity to work as a paraprofessional and Teachers Assistant for Dr. Randall Violett during the 2015 fall semester. Even though I completed my project, there are more improvements that need to be made to our herbarium to insure that it is easy to use and up to date. I am excited to have the opportunity to accomplish this.